While plants and flowers are a great way to decorate, not every plant is safe for your home. We know poison oak shouldn’t be touched, and to keep poinsettias away from our pets, but did you know some of your favorite blooms may have toxic properties as well?
It’s important to err on the side of caution and educate yourself on the harmful effects a poisonous plant or flower can have. Common flowers like heathers, foxgloves and even some of the blooms on our site can have toxic properties. But with ProFlowers, you won’t go without knowing if a plant is poisonous or not. Our packaging includes information on plants and flowers that may be potentially unsafe if ingested.
To help you get a better understanding, we’ve rounded up a list of almost 200 common poisonous plants so you can be sure you’re picking the safest options. Most of these plants are safe to grow and keep in your home, but should be avoided if you’re concerned of accidental ingestion from a hungry pet or curious child. Browse through the list of plant names and make sure no one in your home is at risk.
Explanation of toxicity levels
Keep in mind toxicity levels can vary based on your level of contact with a plant. For example, a plant like black henbane is fatal even in low doses, whereas some plants you need to consume a large amount to experience side effects.
Here is a breakdown of the four levels:
- Major toxicity: These plants may cause serious illness or death.
- Minor toxicity: Ingestion may cause minor illnesses such as vomiting or diarrhea.
- Oxalates: The juice or sap of these plants contains oxalate crystals, which can cause skin irritations or more serious ailments like throat swelling, breathing difficulties, and stomach pain.
- Dermatitis: These plants may cause a skin rash or irritation.
With all four toxicity levels, it’s advised that you contact the Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) or your doctor.
If you notice that some common fruits are on the list, there’s no need to rush to toss out your last grocery run. Many toxic parts of plants such as cherries, apricots and peaches aren’t the fruits themselves, but other parts like the stem, leaves and seeds. These parts we never consider eating, so we never come in contact with them.
Special care for children and pets
Most plants we would never think to eat or touch, but for small children and pets that are unaware of harmful side effects, it’s recommended you keep them out of arm’s reach. For example, a peace lily is a very popular indoor plant given its ability to clean the air in your home. But it’s also highly toxic for cats and dogs, so try to keep the plant on a high shelf.
It’s better to be safe than sorry. Knowing which options can be harmful will not only help you make a better decision when picking out beautiful blooms and foliage, but also help you avoid an accident. Now that you are more educated on poisonous plants, you can browse our assortment of plant gifts and make the safest selection with confidence.