Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a guide to impressing women? The way to a woman’s heart may be as easy as a sincere compliment, a fresh flower arrangement or an Instagram like. But what else qualifies you as an impressive man?
Sometimes it’s the smallest gestures that make the greatest impressions, but there are also those small tokens that can doom your chances too. When meeting someone new, you’ll want to put your best foot forward. Whether you’re trying to determine how to impress a girl on a first date, how to win her back or how to rekindle a romance, having a few tips up your sleeve will certainly work in your favor.
- Dress to Impress: Believe it or not your wardrobe choices say a lot about who you are. In fact, studies show that, “The clothes we wear send powerful signals to our peers and strangers.” You don’t need to have incredible fashion sense in order to impress. Just remember the 4 C’s: color, cut, context and cleanliness. Pick a color that looks best on you and avoid anything too bright. Make sure your clothes fit properly. Take any dress codes into consideration and dress for the occasion. Lastly, make sure your clothes are clean. If you’re overwhelmed about which style is right for you or what fits you best, utilize a personal clothing service, like Trunk Club, to help you build your best wardrobe.
- Be well groomed: Don’t ruin your chances with a horrible body odor or an untamed facial hairstyle. Women appreciate men who take care of themselves and presenting yourself in an appropriate fashion is sure to win you some points. Take a shower, use cologne and don’t forget deodorant.
- Be Polite: Don’t leave your manners behind. Being polite to the woman you are trying to impress and even people you run into on the street will reflect highly of your character. Hold her door, listen to what she’s telling you, and if you’re out to dinner be respectful of your server. Good manners will always leave a great first impression.
- Be on time: There’s nothing worse than waiting around for someone who is running late. Give yourself plenty of time to get to where you’re going and factor in parking issues and traffic delays that might come up.
- Make her feel special: Find little ways to make her feel exceptional. Send her something just because, like her Instagram photo or tell her one thing you wouldn’t tell anyone else. If you notice something you absolutely admire about her, let her know.
- Make her laugh: We surveyed 1,000 women who revealed that the best way to win her over is by making her laugh (48%), followed by helping with errands (16%) and by giving her compliments (13%). Consider trying a few funny pick up lines.
- Offer a sincere compliment: A genuine compliment can go a long way. Consider complimenting her character, beauty or something that really made an impression on you. Take a peek at some of the best compliments you can give a woman to spark some ideas!
- Make eye contact: Although it may be tempting to appreciate the beauty of a woman you’re interested in, avoid looking her up and down and go for the eyes. Researchers found that, “Eye contact produces a powerful, subconscious sense of connection…” Eye contact has also been related to feelings of mutual likability and trustworthiness.
- Make a decision: Research shows that women are attracted to confident men who are able to take initiative and make decisions. Instead of asking her where she’d like to eat, you pick the place.
- Bring her flowers: A beautiful bouquet of farm-fresh flowers is sure to impress. Flowers will not only make her smile, but certain blooms also have particular meanings so you can say much more. Assure your bouquet articulates everything you want it to with our flower meaning guide. A vase full of beautiful blooms will remind her of you for days to come.
- Stimulate conversation: Showing her that you are genuinely interested in getting to know who she is will win you points in the impression category. Telling a story is a great way for the two of you to bond over similar experiences. It will not only make her feel comfortable, but will also allow the two of you to connect on a deeper level. You can also try out a few of these conversation starters backed by professionals to get the dialogue flowing.
- Ignore your phone: In a society that’s more connected now than ever, it can be hard to ignore your electronics. Responding to text messages, emails or answering the phone shows you’re not interested. If you want to impress a woman, give her your full attention.
- Ask for advice: Asking her for advice will show that you value and trust her opinion, which is an important characteristic women seek out in a potential partner. Be careful not to put her on the spot with a detailed questions she may not know the answer to. Keep things light! Ask her which shirt she likes better or what your should eat for lunch.
- Be supportive: New research suggests that the emotional connections and desires established on a first date, determine the fate of a potential relationship. Whether it’s supporting her career moves or her ice cream binge, showing your approval of her decisions is a great way to establish an emotional connection.
- Just relax and be yourself: This is one of the most important steps of impressing a woman. Remind yourself that you are good enough to win her over and be the impressive man that you are. Maya Angelou said it most notably, “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget the way you made them feel.” Being yourself will allow you to be more comfortable and more likely to make a lasting impression.
Find more tips, tricks, and interesting statistics on how to impress a woman below:
Now that you know what it takes to put your best foot forward, don’t forget to have fun when meeting new people. The more comfortable you are the better it will go. Oh and one more thing, don’t forget the fresh flowers.