The flower is a pretty complicated plant, with lots of little parts which help it reproduce (or make more of itself). For that reason it’s probably best to look at the basics of flower reproduction before we get into the more difficult stuff like the parts of the flower, its life cycle, and how to grow your own flowers.
The flower pretty much has one job: make more flowers. The way it does this is amazing! Have you ever wondered why flowers are so bright and pretty? Ever wonder why they smell so good? Follow the links below to learn!
Parts of a Flower
- The Great Plant Escape – The Case of Plantenstein: Follow the facts of the case to help Detective LePlant solve the mystery of plant life.
- Pollination: Learn how the parts of a flower work together to make more flowers.
- How Much Do You Know?: Print this out and test your knowledge!
- How Do Plants Get Pollinated?: Having trouble figuring this out? Go to this site!
- How Do Bees Use Flowers?: Learn how bees make honey by using flowers.
- Plant Parts Quiz: How much do you really know?
- My Plant Doodle: Draw your plant and label the parts at this site!
- Growing Plants: See what happens when a plant gets too much water or too much heat. Label the parts too.
- Supermarket Botany: Do you know what plant parts you’re eating?
- Science Up Close – Parts of a Flower: Use this interactive tool to learn about the parts of a plant.
Life Cycle of a Flower
- The Life Cycle of Plants: Follow the activities on this page to learn about seed growth, plant identification, and more!
- Brain Pop Jr.: Plant Life Cycle: Brain Pop is a great site, and many schools use it to teach right in the classroom!
- How Plants Grow, Live, and Die: Check out this great presentation on the life cycle of a plant.
- Plant Reproduction: Learn how flowers and other plants reproduce.
- The Plant Life Cycle: A cool way to look at the plant cycle.
- What is Germination?: It’s a big word, but what does it mean?
Growing Your Own Flowers
- Flowers for Kids!: View a presentation or quiz yourself!
- Science Games for Kids: How Plants Grow: Experiment with plants by using this interactive science activity.
- Flower Crafts and Activities: Growing a garden isn’t the only fun you can have with flowers!
- The Life Cycle of Tulips: Have fun growing these beautiful flowers.
- My First Garden: A guide to the world of fun and clever gardening.
- School Gardens: Some schools let you have a garden right in school! Make your school one of them.
- Growing in the Garden: Winter activities with plants and more.
- Flower and Garden Crafts: Learn how to make a garden bed and tissue paper flowers.
- Fun Things for Kids in the Fall Garden: Learn what to do as the growing season starts to close.
- Make Your Own Potpourri!: If your dry some of you flower petals, you can make something to make your house smell good all winter!
- Dan the Gardener: Dan teaches about the natural world in fun ways!
- Science and Plants for Schools: Learn how to (and why you really should) make a garden at your school.
- Fun Activities to Do with Plants: Gardening is hard work… but it’s also FUN!