Every year on February 14th, people honor their love for one another by spending time together, sending flowers and sharing Valentine’s messages of love. The ritual of expressing love and affection goes far beyond the courtly love of Chaucer’s time. He may have been the first person to link the Catholic Saint Valentine with romance, but today Valentine’s Day is a time to show appreciation for family and friends as well.
Since your grade school days, you’ve likely passed around candy hearts with Valentine’s Day messages, and now that you are older and your Valentine’s card list is smaller, you have more time to fully express yourself.
This day of love is a wonderful opportunity to share Valentine’s Day quotes and messages with all the people you truly care about. Even better, send your Valentine’s Day message with a dozen red roses to show your affection.
Use these quotes on Valentine’s Day to convey the right sentiment in a heartfelt Valentine’s Day message. You can even choose the tone, whether it’s humorous or happy. If none of these love quotes speak to you, perhaps these romantic quotes will help you find the truest words. Since nothing says “I love you” like gifts of chocolate and lines from classic literature, you might discover your inner muse reading love quotes from books.
Cute Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages
A cute Valentine’s quote is one way to make your sweetheart’s day. For many thinking of creative and cute messages can be a difficult task, however there’s no need to fear! We’ve sourced quotes from some of the greatest minds of romance, perfect for expressing your feelings this Valentine’s Day! Whether you’re searching for something light-hearted or sentimental, these Valentine’s Day quotes will help you elevate your message.
- “There is only one happiness in life: to love and be loved.” – George Sand, Author
- “Valentine’s Day is the poet’s holiday.” – Ted Koosner, Poet
- “Your flaws are perfect for the heart that’s meant to love you.” – Trent Shelton, Football Player
- “Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They’re in each other all along.” – Rumi, Poet
- “A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and man cannot live without love.” – Max Muller, Philologist
- “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss, Author
- “The art of love…is largely the art of persistence.” – Albert Ellis, Psychologist
- “Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet.” – Katharine Lee Bates, Songwriter
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin, Journalist
- “Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.” – Franklin P. Jones, Engineer
- “Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.” – Robert Browning, Poet
- “The Eskimos had fifty-two names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love.” – Margaret Atwood, Author
- “It is astonishing how little one feels alone when one loves.” – John Bulwer, Physician
- “Love is the greatest refreshment in life.” – Pablo Picasso, Artist
- “Where there is love, there is life.” – Mahatma Ghandi, Civil Rights Leader
- “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.” – Helen Keller, Author
- “There are never enough I Love You’s.” – Lenny Bruce, Comedian
Funny Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages
They say that laughter is the best medicine so, why not make your Valentine smile this year? Better yet, if you are interested in wooing a new flame use these funny Valentine’s Day quotes to break the ice and express your feelings without too many frills. If your special someone enjoys good humor, these quotes will help you make light of the holiday. Scroll through the funny Valentine’s Day quotes and messages below to find the perfect one.
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” – Charles M. Schulz, Cartoonist
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” – Rita Rudner, Comedian
- “To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” – Oscar Wilde, Playwright
- “True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.” – Erich Segal, Author
- “I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known.” – Walt Disney, Animator
- “Love is a grave mental disease.” – Plato, Philosopher
- “I want a man who’s kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?” – Zsa Zsa Gabor, Actress
- “It’s better to have loved and lost than to have to do forty pounds of laundry a week.” – Laurence J. Peter, Educator
- “Without Valentine’s Day, February would be…well, January.” – Jim Gaffigan, Comedian
- “Love is what you’ve been through with somebody.” – James Thurber, Cartoonist
- “What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork.” – Pearl Bailey, Actress
- “Money can’t buy love, but it improves your bargaining position.” – Christopher Marlowe, Playwright
- “If love is the answer, could you please rephrase the question?” – Lily Tomlin, Actress
- “Look, there’s no metaphysics on earth like chocolates.” – Fernando Pessoa, Poet
- “Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties.” – Jules Renard, Author
- “Lord! I wonder what fool it was that first invented kissing.” – Jonathon Swift, Political Satirist
Happy Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages
Your time and recognition will not be forgotten by anyone you send a cheerful Valentine’s wish to. When your words escape you, borrow a quote or message to make your someone special feel loved. These messages are great for anyone you are sending love to and these days the holiday is meant to celebrate not just romance, but all types of love!
- “This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls.” – Aberjhani, Historian
- “Each time you love, love as deeply as if it were forever.” – Audre Lorde, Civil Rights Activist
- “Love is when the desire to be desired takes you so badly that you feel you could die of it.” – Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Painter
- “Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence.” – Vincent van Gogh, Artist
- “A true lover always feels in debt to the one he loves.” – Ralph W. Sockman, Pastor
- “Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love.” – Albert Einstein, Physicist
- “Loving is not just looking at each other, it’s looking in the same direction.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Poet
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Lao Tzu, Philosopher
- “The heart has its reasons, which reason knows not.” – Blaise Pascal, Mathematician
- “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.” – Aristotle, Philosopher
- ”When love is not madness, it is not love.” – Pedro Calderon de la Barca, Playwright“
- Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold.” – Zelda Fitzgerald, Author
- “Love is metaphysical gravity.” – R. Buckminster Fuller, Architect
- “Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.” – Voltaire, Author
- “If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets.” – Haruki Murakami, Author
- “Love is being stupid together.” – Paul Valery, Poet
- “Love is a condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” – Robert Heinlein, Author
- “And suddenly all the love songs were about you.” – Unknown
Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages for Friends
Valentine’s Day isn’t just a celebration for couples and romantic love. Friendships are an exceptional kind of love that deserves recognition not just through Galentine’s Day but on this special day as well. Send a Valentine’s Day message from the heart to remind your BFF’s just how much they mean to you.
- “Rare as is true love, true friendship is rarer.” – Jean de La Fontaine, Poet
- “A friend is what the heart needs all the time.” – Henry Van Dyke, Author
- “My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.” – Henry Ford, Businessman
- “Friendship marks a life even more deeply than love. Love risks degenerating into obsession, friendship is never anything but sharing.” – Elie Wiesel, Author
- “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” – Wiliam Shakespeare, Poet
- “True friends are like diamonds — bright, beautiful, valuable and always in style.” – Nicole Richie, Actress
- “There is nothing better than a friend unless it is a friend with chocolate.” – Linda Grayson, Author
- “Friends are medicine for a wounded heart, and vitamins for a hopeful soul.” – Steve Maraboli, Author
Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages For Him
When writing a Valentine’s Day message for him try to keep it personal and thoughtful. He will laugh at reminders of old times and smile at references to special moments shared together. End the note with creative Valentine’s Day messages unique to men from our quotes below.
- “The real lover is a man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space”. – Marilyn Monroe, Actress
- “Money is no match for the richness you bring to my life.” – Anonymous
- “Loved you yesterday, love you still, always have, always will.” – Elaine Davis, Actress
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – A.A. Milne, Author
- “A life without love is like a year without summer.” – Anonymous
- “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” – Hermann Hesse, Poet
- “Your words are my food, your breath is my wine. You are everything to me.” – Sarah Bernhardt, Actress
- “I’m much more me when I’m with you.” – Anonymous
- “My heart is and always will be yours.” – Anonymous
- “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” – Emily Bronte, Author
- “Don’t forget I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” – Anna Scott, Notting Hill
- “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more” – Angelita Lim, Writer
Valentine’s Day Quotes & Messages For Her
Valentine’s Day is the perfect occasion to shower your lady in warm Valentine’s messages and thoughtful greetings. Use a Valentine’s Day message that speaks to her beauty, intelligence and positive presence in your life. She’ll fall head over heels for your personal message that is unique to how you feel about the woman in your life.
- “Chocolate can’t compete with the sweetness of loving you.” – Anonymous
- “You are my heart, my life, my one and only thought.” – Conan Doyle, Arthur
- “You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest, and most beautiful person I have ever known—and even that is an understatement.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, Author
- “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” – Alfred Tennyson, Poet
- “I swear I couldn’t love you more than I do right now, and yet I know I will tomorrow.” – Leo Christopher, Actor
- “In my eyes, you are the most beautiful and tender woman in the whole world. I love you.” – Anonymous
- “Love is friendship that has caught on fire” – Ann Landers, Writer
- “I know of only one duty, and that is to love” – Albert Camus, Philosopher
- “Nobody will ever win the battle of the sexes. There’s too much fraternizing with the enemy.” – Henry Kissinger, Political Scientist
- “I love you, not only for what you are but for what I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft, Author
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn, Actress
- “If I had to dream up the perfect woman, she wouldn’t even come close to you.” – Cory Matthews, Boy Meets World
- “I look at you and see the rest of my life in front of my eyes.” – Anonymous
Now that you have the best Valentine’s Day quotes picked out, you can get creative with your own words. Before you begin writing, consider how well you know your recipient. If you’re romantically coupled, think about what stage of the relationship you are in. This will give you an idea of how to address the card, and what tone is appropriate.
By keeping your recipient in mind, you’ll also write a more meaningful message. Are they a jokester who loves to laugh? Or would a cutesy saying be more their style? While it can be a challenge to put our feelings into words, speaking from the heart is always best. Personalized touches such as a pet name or a shared memory show the thought you put into writing and will make your Valentine feel extra special.
Once you’ve incorporated all these elements into your message, it never hurts to deliver it along with a perfectly paired duo of flowers and gourmet dipped strawberries. The time you spend making someone’s Valentine special will be long remembered, so make sure to share the holiday with everyone you love.
These Valentine’s Day quotes paired with your own words are sure to make this February 14th your best celebration yet!