Every day, people use items such as bottles, newspaper, cans, and plastic bags which are discarded afterwards. However, these items can be collected, recycled, and reused. It’s important to recycle these items because it provides many financial, environmental, and social returns. When people practice recycling, they are helping to protect the environment and prevent the depletion of the earth’s natural habitat.
Waste can be processed and converted into useful materials via recycling. It helps to reduce the consumption of fresh raw material, which in turn reduces energy usage, air pollution, and water pollution. The process helps to reduce conventional waste disposal methods and reduces emission of greenhouse gases.
Glass, metal, paper, plastic, electronics, and textiles are recyclable products. Generally, the material which is recycled can be used to produce the same material. For instance, used paper can be converted into new paper and used metal can be recycled and converted into new metal. By recycling used products, the Earth’s raw materials can be conserved.
Products Made from Recycled Products
What are some products that can be made from recycled products?
- Eco-friendly rubber bags can be made from recycled rubber inner tubes.
- Fountains, furniture, and other types of home equipment can be made from recycled plastic.
- Recycled paper can be used to make paper towel and toilet paper.
- Storage containers can be made from recycled plastic and metals.
- Aluminum foil and foil packaging can be used to make mechanical parts such as engines.
Recycling for Environment
Recycling helps to conserve the environment, energy, and natural resources. Recycling helps to reduce dependence on mining and lowers expenses on transportation of fossil fuels such as coal, diesel, and gasoline. Recycled paper helps to save trees and reduce the need for landfills. Recycling steel helps to conserve coal and limestone which are raw materials required for the production of steel. Furthermore, recycling saves electricity and reduces the emission of carbon dioxide, dangerous gases, air pollutants, and water pollutants into the environment. Some other benefits of recycling include energy conservation. For instance, it takes 95 percent less energy to recycle aluminum in comparison to the production of new aluminum from raw materials. Additionally, it helps to conserve timber, minerals, and water, which goes a long way in preserving the environment for future generations. On the economic side, recycling also creates jobs for many people in the world. Recycling helps to check global climate change and pollution as well.
Tips and Methods of Recycling
For recycling the products which are considered waste such as fibers, paper, and plastic bags, the items have to be collected from curbside stations, buy-back centers, drop-off centers or deposit programs. At the outset, these items are cleaned and processed. For manufacturing, new product recycling methods are used.
Here are some easy tips of recycling.
- Recyclable plastic bottles should be kept empty without lids for recycling.
- Newspapers can be kept for recycling and you should avoid putting food, glass, metal or plastics in the newspapers.
- Use recycled plastic bags and segregate recyclables from non-recyclables.
- Glass is recycled as per color and glass items such as light bulbs or mirrors can be segregated according to their color.
- Aluminum containers should be crushed flat to make more space for collection.
- Old computers and electronic items can be donated to nonprofit organizations.
Here are some resources on recycling.
- Recycle City: Learn about how people can save money, reduce waste, and conserve the environment through recycling.
- Recycling Guide: Provides some tips on recycling.
- Conservation & Recycling: Various resources on conservation and recycling.
- USA Recycling Industries: The official site with information on how to recycle, payment, and more.
- Recycling 101: An overview of recycling.
- Why Recycle?: Outlines some of the reasons why you should recycle.
- Recyclable Items: A look at some of the common recyclable items.
- Economic Benefits: The PDF discusses some of the economic benefits of recycling.
- Recycling Facts: A great place for kids to learn about recycling.
- Recycling Tips: Some tips to help you recycle better.
- Reducing Waste: The website provides tips to help you reduce waste.
- Green Tips: Follow these tips to go green.
- Monthly Tips: The website provides a recycling tip for each month.
- Guide to Recycling: The PDF provides guidelines on recycling.
- Recycle Now: A guideline on how to recycle certain items.
- Do Something Super: Find out how to recycle metal, plastics, glass, and more.
- A to Z Guide: The website provides tips on how to recycle more than 250 items.
- Glass: The PDF provides an overview about recycling glass.
- What Can be Recycled?: A list of recyclables.
- Paper Recycling: Some resources on paper recycling.
- Plastic: Outlines some of the misconceptions about plastic recycling.
- Plastics Recycling: A lot of information about plastics recycling.
- WCS: Official site of Wildlife Conservation Society.
- WWF: Official site of World Wildlife Fund.
- Defenders of Wildlife: Provides information on the organization’s programs, policy, newsroom, and more.