They do so much more than fulfill typical administrative duties. They are a bright smile and positive attitude throughout the day; they are “master multi-taskers”; they are the glue that holds an office together; they are the key to keeping an office running smoothly and seamlessly.
With Administrative Professionals Day just around the corner on April 23, we took the opportunity to talk with some of our very own office stars to gain some insight into their office productivity secrets and what makes being an admin so great.
Paula Angelone Cohen, Human Resources, and Joan Bundy, Corporate Communications Coordinator, share their top 10 tips for successfully maintaining an operational work environment:
- Take the initiative and be proactive
- Build relationships of trust and integrity
- Develop relationships with other admins in the company
- Ask questions, share ideas and be a partner
- Use a checklist and take action
- Organize—find the method that works for you
- Be patient
- Laugh—find humor in any situation
- Be a master at multi-tasking
- Enjoy your day
(Bundy also admits that a love of caffeine could help to get through the day!)
Another important element to being good at office management is that you like what you do.
Cohen says, “I really love my job for many reasons. I get to help my manager and team succeed and make someone’s day.”
Cohen, along with Receptionists, Karen Layug and Stephen Inafuku helped us compile this list the top 5 reasons to love being an Administrative Professional:
- Face-to-face interaction to both internal and external clientele. Chohen belives that her job “allows you to interact with all departments and learn different things from them and share ideas.” Inafuku says, “As a part of welcoming every guest, I have the opportunity to chat with them and they are the most interesting and eclectic group of people you could imagine with fun stories and good advice.”
- It’s a fast-paced job—Layug says, “not only does it make the day go by faster, it keeps me on my toes which makes me learn and adapt quickly.”
- Rewarding work. Cohen says she loves “leaving at the end of the day knowing I made a difference in some way.” She also has the pleasure of laughing and smiling daily (making someone else smile is a bonus!). Layug enjoys “working in many programs, such as Excel, to help become more efficient. Being efficient in my work makes me feel accomplished.”
- Challenges. According to Inafuku, “Corporate Reception is a blend of technical tasks combined with the unpredictable nature of customer service. This requires a constant balancing act which keeps things exciting and on your toes.”
- Helping to create a company culture. Inafuku says, “Facilitating the numerous company events, charities, employee appreciations, guest speakers and more is such a direct way of tapping into the amazing culture we have at ProFlowers and reminds me of how lucky I am.”
Office management is not an easy job. It requires skills that most people could use more of in the workplace, and in life in general. It takes a good attitude and willingness to put others’ needs before your own. We appreciate our admins and all that they do.
Thank the office hero in your life on Administrative Professionals day (April 23!) with a beautiful bouquet. Show that you appreciate their hard work and dedication to making your job easier. We know we will!