The holiday season is a time for giving. Whether it's time, money, gifts or love, many people this year will be sharing the wealth by doting on those they love and those in need. If you're looking for a way to make someone's holidays a little brighter, there are plenty of charitable acts and gifts to consider, from volunteering at a soup kitchen to sending holiday flowers. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Save a pet. Research online and find a couple of charitable websites you can donate to that will use your gift to save, feed and house animals who are in shelters. Dogs, cats and other furry friends need love and attention during the holidays just as much as people do.
2. Clean out your closets. Old clothes that you no longer wear can be used by others who are less fortunate. Whether it's a prom dress for a teenage girl in need, a business suit for an unemployed worker or simply a sweater to help someone stay warm this winter, your goods will be appreciated.
3. Send flowers to those in need. Not everyone has a family to visit over the holiday season. It might be nice to call your local nursing home and see whether there's anyone who could really use a bit of cheer this Christmas. Buy a nice bouquet of holiday flowers online and deliver them to the lucky resident yourself.
4. Donate money. Whichever cause you're adamant about, there's certainly a charity that could use your funds. Look online for organizations whose cause you believe in, then make a monetary donation.
5. Find ways to volunteer. Chances are, your local neighborhood has a few places that could use your help. Whether it's at a homeless shelter, a veterinary hospital or a food bank, volunteers are always needed.
6. Give teddy bear gifts. If you know any children who could use a bit of extra cheer this year, teddy bears are a great gift. Whether a parent is employed oversees, they're sick in the hospital or you think they could use another present under the tree, a teddy bear hug is the perfect thing.
7. Shop smart. There are plenty of websites and companies that donate a portion of their sales to charities, so when you're looking for gifts this Christmas, you can give in more ways than one.
No matter how you decide to give back this year, your efforts will undoubtedly be appreciated. It's always nice to help others feel as cheerful and fortunate as you are during the holiday season, and your gifts will do just that.