Love is a journey. From the start of a first date, to honeymoon bliss, and on to landmark anniversaries—no matter where you are on your journey together, love is something to be celebrated.
Love may get the spotlight on Valentine’s Day with a swarm of two dozen roses and gifts, but romance is also defined by the small moments in the here-and-now. This commitment to experience each day on a journey together is something to be honored and celebrated, not just on a holiday or birthday.
Even if just for a moment, make it a point to cherish your love—surprise your sweetheart just because and see the importance of small gestures. Take some of these summer date ideas to inspire you with activities to celebrate your journey and breathe some love into the air.
Take an Afternoon Bike Ride
New scenic adventures are just a bike ride away. An activity like bike riding gets you outdoors and into the fresh air where you can bask in the beauty that surrounds you every day. A nice ride through your town or an adventure on local bike paths will give you two a chance to really stop and smell the roses and appreciate the beautiful scenery that surrounds you every day.
Picnic at the Park or Beach
You don’t need a big vacation to escape for a romantic getaway. Take a little day-cation and have a picnic at a local beach or beautiful park with your love. Even if it’s just for a day, you’ll tune out the daily distractions of life long enough to renew your love and refresh your spirits. Pack up a picnic basket, a big comfy blanket, some indulgent drinks and roses, and head to your mini romantic getaway for the day.
Stay in with a Cooking Date
Nothing turns an ordinary meal into a romantic indulgence like cooking a meal for a date night in. So turn off those cell phones and switch off the TV. Set the mood with music, the good china, some lush red roses and exquisite candlelight. Pour each other wine, feed each other chocolate, turn up the cheesy music, and have a little fun. When you take some time to just enjoy each other for a meal, you will see that even everyday routines can be romantic, no matter how bad your cooking may be. Need a good recipe? We really like Grilled Chicken and Veggie Tortellini Recipe:
Grilled Chicken-and-Veggie Tortellini recipe
- 4 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground Italian herb seasoning
- 1 19-oz. package frozen cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 7-oz. container refrigerated reduced-fat pesto
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat grill to 300° to 350° (medium) heat. Sprinkle your zucchini and chicken with seasoning.
- Grill zucchini and chicken at the same time, covered with grill lid. Grill zucchini 6 to 8 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill chicken 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from your grill and let stand 10 minutes.
- While you are grilling, prepare your tortellini according to the package directions.
- Coarsely chop chicken and zucchini into small bits. Toss tortellini with pesto, tomatoes, chicken, and zucchini. Serve immediately. Garnish with Parmesan (if you want).
Dress Up and Go Wine Tasting
Surprising your soul mate with a bouquet or romantic flowers, chivalry and a luxurious wine tasting date, is the perfect way to show your love any day. You don’t have to go all the way to Tuscany to go on a romantic wine tasting tour for two. Local wineries are abundant, and even if they are sparse where you live, wine restaurants and wine bars often host wine tasting nights and specials.
Because we think love is something that should always be celebrated, we’re giving away a luxury 18-day romantic European Princess Cruises cruise tour for two. Upload a photo of how you romance your sweetheart with hashtags #LoveIsAJourney and #ProFlowersSweeps to enter the ProFlowers Love is a Journey sweepstakes for your chance to go on the romantic adventure of a lifetime together.